1.08.2006

A Matter of Preference

Recently, I was involved in a lighthearted debate over whether or not the Beatles were a good band. Of course they were, says I. But, perhaps not everyone agrees. My friend, who generally has a good taste in music was listening to the White Album to see what all the fuss was about. 8, my friend, doesn't listen to music that lives in the Rock section at your local music store. And has once or twice mentioned a dislike for the guitar. 8, didn't like the White album, at all. And in fact, he said that the Beatles "stink".
How could this be? Given, Revolution 9 is a song that I skip whenever I listen to the White Album. And Piggies may not tickle your eardrum in just the right way. But, Dear Prudence, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Blackbird, Julia??? These are truly great songs. These are tunes that I can listen to, regularly, and never tire of them.
It set me to wondering... How is it, that I can listen to certain music and feel excited, or happy, or sad, or inspired, and yet, when another brain is processing the sounds, it feels nothing, or even revulsion? I could listen to The Joshua Tree for 24 hours straight and get the chills every time the intro to Where the Streets Have No Name starts. But, I know people who couldn't stand to listen to that album for a second. There must be a logical reason for this. I know it's not that I'm smarter or more cultured than others... I would suspect that they are smarter or more cultured than me... But, I share musical interests with some people who are pretty bright, so that just can't be.
So here's what I came up with... It's the preferences that are established based upon the listeners history with the music, their social background, and their psychological background. I'm going to take a look at these things, but I'll only use myself as an example, since I can't be inside of everyone elses minds... At least as far as you know.
Section One: The History With The Music
So, since we're talking about The Joshua Tree, I'll use that album, and that band U2 as a reference. When I was about 12 or 13 years old, cerca 1988, the music that was big in my area of the world was crappy at best. New Kids on the Block were huge, hair bands were ruling the airways. It was all nonsense to me. I didn't dislike it, but none of it really did anything for me, so music wasn't really that big a deal to me.
Then a friend turned me on to The Joshua Tree. I was moved. I didn't know what the hell the lyrics were about, but it didn't matter. There was an emotion, genuine sentiment, behind the lyrics that eliminated the necessity for understanding. He could have been singing in Greek, and it still would have hit me the way it did. It gave me chills. It still does. Listening to that album now, reminds me of being that young teenager hearing that music for the first time. It reminds me not to forget that excitement, that awe at a new experience. That is why I can hear it a thousand times, and it is NEVER stale. But, perhaps others can listen to it for the first time now, and feel nothing because the sound is not new anymore, and they don't have the history with it... It's a foreign concept to me to not feel that excitement. But, not to them...
SectionTwo: The Listeners Social Background/ Environment
So, I live in a mid-sized town in the midwest. We're a little behind the big cities like LA, or NY. But, we do alright. Tastes in this area are decidedly middle class, because this area is decidedly middle class. We don't have a lot of fancy foods, we don't have a lot of fancy cars, we don't have a lot of fancy clothes, and we don't have a lot of fancy music. Now, of course, the internet has made the world a much smaller place, but we are still in Moline, IL population 43,000 and change. This is the hometown of John Deere, and this is a blue collar area. It took me until my 20's to really discover jazz music, because this area has a lack of high fallutin', fancy pants stuff. I grew up on the Eagle's, Melloncamp, Clapton, the Beatles. As I got older and was discovering my own identity, I clinged to rap like NWA and the Geto Boys. That was the stuff that was available to me. I didn't discover Tribe Called Quest or Digable Planets until my friend, 8, (who doesn't like my music), introduced me to them. So, my musical tastes have been drastically influenced by my social climate. I'm a midwesterner and my background with music is midwestern...
Aside: I am a midwesterner, but here's something that I don't get. How in the FUCK can anyone listen to country music and think that it is anything more that shit on a cd. OK, I'll give you the old guys like Cash, or Willie, or even Merle Haggard. They were good ol' boys singing about good ol' shit. But these fucking pussies that are making country music now... What the hell? There is no excuse for anyone to like that crap... I digress... Sorry about that...
Section C: Psychological Background
This is the area that I find most interesting. I work in an environment where I am surrounded by, pain, dying, and death on a regular basis. This plays a huge role in the music I listen to, the books I read, the TV and movies that I watch. When I am not at work, I don't want to get MORE involved in the drama of life. What I look for is an escape. It's hard for me to get involved in politically charged music. Now, I know, U2 is one of the more political bands of our time. Thing is, I'm not smart enough to understand Bono's lyrics. Also, when he talks about bombings in "Enniskillen", I don't know what that means. Please don't misunderstand. I am not demeaning the message behind his lyrics. I am just being honest. He talks about things of which I have very little knowledge. So, all I really get from it is the emotion behind the message. I can escape into my own feelings about MY interpretation of the message that the artist sends, since I have no real understanding of their intended message.
Another area this falls is into is my listening to Snoop. Snoop Dogg is make-believe, through and through. I sincerely doubt that he has ever "capped" anyone. I doubt his nuts were ever on Luke's tonsils. However, I do not doubt that he has rolled down the street smoking endo, sipping on gin and juice... Beeeatch.
I like Snoop because to me it is mindless. I can listen to it, and shut off my brain. I can always vibe on the bass lines he's got, and he flows lyrically in a way that is pleasant to me. Does that mean I really don't love them ho's? No, I love my ho very much. Do I think all women are bitches?... Not all of them. Heck, not all bitches are women. I've worked with a couple of fella's who were bitches. Point is, it's entertaining to me. It provides a place for my brain to shut off, enjoy the groove, and ignore the message.
That's my point.
I don't do message music. I don't care about the message. The world is real enough for me, I don't need reality slipping into my entertainment. 8 likes to listen to Fela Kuti. I would imagine he feels the message. I don't mind Fela, but he doesn't do a whole lot for me. The music gets a bit repetitive, but with Fela, it's more about the story he's telling. I'm sure his story is exciting and interesting (I think the government of the country he lived in assassinated him or something), but I just don't want drama in my music. Or my movies. Or even most of the books I read... I want escape. I want fantasy... And not just Jenna Jameson fantasy stuff. I mean Star Wars, Lord of the Rings fantasy. Escape from reality for a few minutes. I can listen to Snoop and be rolling in my '64 with him and Dre, drinking Colt '45 (works every time) and smoking a bowl.
And Jazz music is great for escape. I can just sit back and feel the music without the hassle of lyrics. Just feel the flow. I can just listen to the music and escape from life for a few minutes.
This doesn't mean that I don't like my life. I love it. I am a very happy person. It's just that I live my life, and it's not that entertaining. So, when I'm getting into my entertainment, I want to be entertained. Not reminded of the harsh realities of the world we live in.
That's why I can listen to the Beatles and love it. That's why I can love my wife and Snoop's music at the same time. That's why I still think that anyone who listens to Billy Ray Cyrus or whoever is the big country singer right now should be shot.
That's my preference. And that's what makes me, me.
What the hell were we talking about again?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, i typed out some shit. then hit submit and got a message saying your blog didn't exist.

so i'll have to come back to this.

interesting stuff anyways.

09:14  
Blogger Marklar said...

My blog doesn't exist... I don't exist. I'm just a figment of your imagination... A short, chubby, red, bald figment of your imagination...

10:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish

13:16  
Blogger Marklar said...

By the way, I was very flattered to have made your blog. However, I would have used the picture of me in full jedi regalia, not the nursing uniform. It's a better representation of me.

14:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice piece. when is jenna jameson releasing an album?

20:17  
Blogger Marklar said...

I just try to slip in a reference to Jenna Jameson whenever I can. She deserves it, I think, for all the years of good times we've had together.

20:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tried to find the Jedi outfit brah. must have been purged from my inbox.

05:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's to hoping you check this blog entry for comments one more time

i'd really like you to listen to this Brother Ali album "Rite of Passage". cause it's sooper. and i mean that.

the guy even looks like you.

http://citypaper.net/articles/2003-05-29/musicpicks3-1.jpg

here's the album: http://s61.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3T01PV24J2D9I1UOJRYGXT9BHO

19:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

D, I can't help but notice that in your "digression" about the inherent crappiness of contemporary country music, you fail to realize that the entire rest of your blog supports the notion that there really is no such thing as inherent crap, only personal preference (influenced by various factors), and that the one critical factor influencing the perception of music as "good" or "bad" is the emotion each song evokes. Therefore, to lable an entire genre of music as crap is truly an injustice. For example: To me, jazz is senseless, non-melodic, even slightly disturbing, noise. How anyone can enjoy it baffles me. Yet I would not deign to condemn the entire genre. Besides that fact, if you've never opened up to the possibility of some kind of emotional connection, one will never happen. D, come hang out with me, get wasted, and I'll teach you to appreciate the finer nuances of country. -Woods
P.S. If you're wondering why I wasted so much space on a subject I don't even really care about it's because I'm bored shitless and out of my mind tired.

20:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home